Physical and Mental Requirements
- AGE: Minimum age required to train is 18. Maximum age is 70. However, if you are 46 or older, we may require your health professional to approve your participation in our
training program. Under special circumstances, we may allow students younger than 18 and older than 70 to train.
- ABILITY TO RUN: You must be able to run at least (30) yards in (6) seconds or less. If this is not
possible, train for wheeled powered paragliding.
- ABILITY TO ENDURE A MODEST FALL: You must be able to jump from a 3' ladder
and land safely. Part of your training includes
learning how to fall without injury.
- WEIGHT: Student pilot weight minimum is 105 lb Maximum weight is 200 lb (190 lb for tandem flights). If you are overweight for your height and build by more than
20%, THIS SPORT IS NOT FOR YOU. Many of those wishing to train have
lost the weight necessary. Being overweight greatly increases your risk of injury or death while flying a paraglider. If you are unusually tall, we may make an exception to the upper weight
- VISION: Your long distance vision must be good. You must be able to see clearly where you are going while
flying. If you need glasses, be sure to have sports-type eyewear,
such as "Rec-Specs", that will not accidently fall off while flying. Inability to see cearly while in the air could result in injury or death.
- LEFT-RIGHT DETERMINATION: If you have difficulty determining which is your right or left, have someone drill you and see whether you can train yourself to instantly recognize which side is
which. Getting your right or left side/hand confused can be EXTREMELY dangerous while paragliding.
Mental stability while paragliding is of critical importance. Maintaining mental stability is essential for engaging in any
activity like paragliding or hang gliding where panic, loss of self control, or anything similar
can lead to injury or death. People do not think about task saturation but it can happen, as in this video. How will you respond when you are in the
air? It's worth thinking about. Those who have had military experience will have had the mental training necessary. Most people have the necessary mental stability to paraglide.